Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Spending money on a good duvet cover may seem like a luxury or just another “extra” expense for some, but in reality, it’s much more significant than you may think. We spend a third of our daily lives between the sheets and with these materials touching our skin, and we must take care of all those little details that make our sleep (and lounging time) more comfortable and better for us and the environment. Investing in a quality organic duvet cover is an excellent idea to achieve this.
Organic duvet covers may cost a tad more compared to those made of synthetic materials, but they have a vast host of benefits that are worth your initial investment:
- They are eco-friendly. Organic duvet covers are made of 99-100% organic cotton or other natural materials that are ethically sourced with the utmost respect for the environment. They are also biodegradable(can be naturally broken down into other natural materials) and be easily recycled if they are no longer used.
- They are chemical-free. The beauty of organic duvet covers is that they are typically chemical-free, and there are no harsh chemicals like dyes, fillers, or other substances that may be potentially toxic for humans or the environment used. If you find that you experience allergic breakouts when your skin comes in contact with bleached and synthetic materials, an organic duvet cover is not likely at all to cause any allergies.
- They are usually more comfortable. Because organic bedding choices e.g., duvet covers, are made of 100% cotton or other natural soft materials that haven’t gone through chemical fillers and other synthetic additions, they are generally more comfortable than synthetic ones. Besides being soft, they are also more breathable and allow the natural circulation of air for enhanced comfort during bedding time.
The following brands have set the bar high and managed to create organic duvet covers that offer all the above privileges and more. Here are the best organic duvet covers that we suggest to you for this season:
Holy Lamb Organics, located in Oakville, Washington, is one of those companies that we and everyone rush to support because of their story, mission and ethics around their process. Even their company name was chosen to reflect their reverence for the animals whose fleece enables them to create healthy, natural bedding. Holy Lamb Organics is devoted to the planet and its inhabitants, from their supply chain to their manufacturing processes to their facilities management, all while carrying on a centuries-old tradition of making textile products with heritage methods by hand. They strive to be zero waste and sustainable every step of the way. They’ll even take you on a tour of their location if you’re in Oakville!
Now, about the Cloud Brushed Organic Flannel Duvet Cover (just one of the various organic duvet covers they carry…):
- Available in several colors.
- 100% organic cotton
- GOTS certified
- Self-backed and finished with a simple knife-edge and coconut shell buttons.
- Inside ties.
Purchasing your duvet cover from Holy Lamb Organics makes you part of their incredible story with the equally thrilling benefit of getting a comforter that is incredibly cozy while being safe to be wrapped in nightly. We LOVE LOVE LOVE situations like that.
“Le Naturel” is a GOTS-certified brand that offers bedding products made of 100% organic and ultra-fine, staple, and high-quality cotton blends. Their slogan “Hold Hands for a Healthy Environment” is echoed in their products as they adopt a meticulous sourcing manufacturing process to ensure that all their products are pure and safe for the environment and humans alike.
Le Naturel 300-thread count 100% Organic Cotton Duvet Cover key features:
- Made of 100% GOTS-certified organic cotton. This means that the product is certified by the Global Organic Textile Standard as being organic in both it’s composition and manufacturing methods.
- Made of ultra-fine 300-thread cotton material. This makes the duvet cover not only healthy for you and the environment but more durable as well. The duvet cover is going to “cover” you comfortably for several years (given proper care).
- 3-way protection system. The exclusive 3-way protection system is aimed at holding the duvet inside the cover in place in three different ways: solid ties on all 4 corners and sideways, a 10-inch inner flap at the bottom to keep it in place.
We are talking about a solid duvet cover choice here as this will offer you a comfortable bedding experience that’s meant to last for a long time, especially if you follow all care instructions.
Whisper Organics is another bedding brand that takes pride in offering bedding choices e.g., bed sheets, pillowcases, duvet covers, and flannel sets that are GOTS-certified and made specifically without GMOs, pesticides, herbicides or other toxic substances. Their prices are also quite affordable, considering the quality you get with each of their products.
Whisper Organics Duvet Cover set key features:
- Exceptional luxurious softness. If you despise skimpy and rough duvet covers, this one here will undoubtedly make discomfort a thing of the past. The duvet cover is tightly woven with 300-threads that offer both added comfort and security, as they help keep the duvet inside the cover in place. The duvet cover feels like luxurious silk to the touch.
- Comes in 6 different colors and 3 sizes. This duvet cover is available in 6 different colors that are classic and fit any bedroom environment: natural (beige), ocean blue, silver, white, dark grey, and ivory. It is also available in twin, queen, and king/California King size.
We love this because of its nearly effortless luxurious comfort and solid structure that never feels rough. And it’s super affordable for everyone as it costs less than $60.
An Amazon-based brand that offers a small range of eco-friendly products that are 100% organic GOTS and OEKO-tex standard certified, which means that all their bedding products are sourced from 100% pure organic materials and are completely chemical and toxic-free.
Tissaj 500-thread organic cotton duvet cover key features:
- Made of 100% organic, 500-thread cotton material. The 500-thread sateen construction with premium quality cotton fibers makes this duvet cover luxuriously soft and smooth to the touch, while also adding to its durability (given proper washing and care).
- Perfect fitting with a 15-inch envelope flap. All Tissaj duvet covers come with an internal envelope flap that measures 15 inches, with 4 ties in the corners and 2 ties in the middle for keeping the duvet inside secure and in place. No more ill-fitting issues and struggling to fix its position with your hands–the fitting will be flawless.
- Eco-friendly packaging. Each duvet cover comes with a handy eco-friendly 100% organic cotton bag that allows easier storage and transportation, even while traveling. This also makes it an excellent choice for a gift as well. Note: the packaging, just like the duvet cover, can be fully recycled if no longer needed.
This one caught our attention because it is made of 500-thread sateen composition, and it’s natural to assume that with such a level of detail, the quality and comfort are guaranteed.
Magnolia Organics Dream Collection is just as its name suggests, a “dream.” And it’s no wonder why as they can craft pure organic bedding products that are lavishly soft, durable, and of course friendly to the environment and human health. The brand is also GOTS certified, which means that its products are made using eco-friendly methods and are free of toxic substances.
Magnolia Organics Dream Collection Duvet Set Key Features:
- Silky and smooth sateen construction. If you want your duvet cover to feel luxuriously soft yet staple at the same time, the sateen composition made with finely woven pure cotton fibers achieves this.
- High level of drapability. If you’ve never heard of this “term” before, this means that the structure of the duvet cover will match the natural contours of your body nicely and allow better distribution of temperature for a more comfortable sleep.
- Comes in 6 color and 3 size choices. The brand has made it easy for you to match the coloring of your bedroom with classic as well as unique shades: white, natural (light beige), chocolate, elderberry gray, Laurel oak, and Morrocan blue.
A beautiful, comfortable, and figure-hugging product that could not be missing in our list of best picks. The GOTS-certification alone is a reason to buy this with confidence, knowing that you help the environment and protect your health at the same time.
Bioweaves is an Indian brand that was founded to offer bedding products that are organic, luxurious, and ethically sourced from Indian farmers. Their current range of products includes both individual bedding items and sets that are real value-for-money, especially considering the quality and benefits you’ll gain with each item.
Bioweaves 3-piece duvet cover set key features:
- Made of GOTS certified 100% pure organic cotton fibers. The GOTS standard, which is the highest standard for organic textiles, is awarded for products that are pure and chemical-free. This, of course, ensures improved environmental and human health.
- Matching all-in-one set. If you want to save yourself from the hassle (and extra costs) of buying all these bedding items separately, this set consists of three matching items: 1 white duvet cover and two pillow shams (measuring 20X26” each).
- Guaranteed quality. Each item and set goes through extensive quality checks to ensure comfort as well as the durability of its composition. The products are also backed up by impeccable customer service and a risk-free purchasing experience.
We love the fact that this is sourced ethically from a community of happy Indian workers and farmers using natural practices, and you can tell that lots of love and care went into making these bedding sets.
Organic Nido bedding products are GOTS-certified (made of 100% organic textiles and chemical-free production methods) and renowned for their softness, comfort, durability, and high-quality craftsmanship. Their 3-piece duvet set makes an excellent investment for anyone that seeks all the above perks without necessarily sparing much cash as the set costs less than $110.
Organic Nido 3-Piece Duvet Set key features:
- Luxurious softness. The brand promises luxury that “you can see and feel,” and this set certainly lives up to its claims. This bedding set is one of the softest and highest quality organic duvet sets available out there.
- Solid textile composition. The duvet cover and pillow shams are made of 100% pure cotton using an exclusive weaning procedure for a denser and more solid material that lasts for quite a long time, with proper care.
- It comes with a wide range of coloring choices. One thing that sets apart this duvet cover set from others is its impressive range of 10 color choices–and we bet you’ll take just a few seconds to figure out which one suits your bedroom. The colors, among others, are white, ivory, sage (green), burgundy, chocolate, navy blue, and elephant gray.
What we like about this one is that its promises of luxurious softness are valid, as they are evident from the first touch. And you can’t go wrong with 10 color choices. Right?
An eco-pure brand targeted at consumers that wish to combine style, comfort, and sustainability in a single bedding set. The style of their products is something that sets them apart from others, as they are a unique and perfect mix of modern and classic elements. If you are looking for something that feels and looks luxurious, this is the best choice you can make.
EcoPure 100% Organic Duvet Cover Set key features:
- Made of GOTS-certified 100% organic cotton. The organic cotton materials are sustainably and ethically sourced, and the result is an exceptional quality, soft bedding product that enhances the sleeping experience.
- Unique design. This bedding set is adorned with a unique floral pattern over a natural linen background that blends seamlessly with classic or even more modern bedroom surroundings. The finish is sateen-like and looks luxurious.
- Lightweight and breathable. This duvet cover set is designed to be solid yet lightweight and breathable enough to increase warmth and comfort during bedtime.
We love this because it’s not just another boring organic cotton bedding set–it looks stylish and feels luxurious, despite costing less than $100. Consider this an excellent investment as it is also designed to last too.
Regardless of which brand you choose to buy from, we are sure that you will be thrilled with your purchase, as all brands are GOTS certified and tested for their high quality and comfort – all with zero environmental or human health side-effects.
This article was originally published on October 19, 2019.