Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Is there anything softer and more comforting than a high-quality wool comforter when snuggling and sleeping in bed? There is nothing else that compares.
Natural wool comforters and wool bedding items have been used for many decades and continue to rise in popularity for many reasons. Organic wool comforters come with an impressive range of perks that ordinary and cheap quality wool comforters can’t beat:
- They are ultra-soft. The natural fibers and detailed coiled stitching make the texture of an organic wool comforter ultra-soft and comfortable to the touch. Wool comforters paired with other wool bedding items are also comfortable and soothing enough for people who suffer from arthritis, fibromyalgia, and chronic muscle or bone pain.
- They even out the temperature. Wool as a fabric is very breathable and has the ability to regulate body temperature when it comes in contact with the skin. It transfers and regulates moisture and heat throughout every fiber of the fabric, just like it does to its natural wearers–sheep. For this reason, wool comforters are ideal for any season–from hot summer to cold winter months.
- They are eco-friendly. Organic wool comforters are the best choice you can make for the environment for mainly two reasons. They are sourced from local farmers naturally who graze sheep in the fields or organic farms and there are no harmful factory waste and petrochemicals involved in their making. Moreover, organic wool fibers are naturally biodegradable and can be recycled and remade into other wool bedding products.
- They absorb harmful pollutants (WAIT! READ ON…) – not only does wool absorb many harmful pollutants from the air, it does not re-emit them. It’s estimated that wool used in interiors can help purify the air for 30 years.
- They are hypoallergenic. Wool is resistant to bacteria, mold and mildew that can trigger allergic reactions in many people.
- They are fire-resistant. Yep, a property not known by many is that wool offers the highest level of fire-resistance among other fabrics such as cotton, leather, viscose, nylon, and satin. The texture of the wool and its lanolin coating simply need extra amounts of oxygen that are not sufficient in the usual atmosphere so it can’t catch fire easily. When it does catch fire, the flame burns very slowly and it’s easy to extinguish it afterward with water or a fireproof blanket.
- They are naturally anti-static. Wool generates very little static electricity because of the qualities of its natural fibers. Static attracts lint, dirt, and dust, so its anti-static properties keep it much cleaner for longer.
- They are dust mite resistant. Dust mites don’t like wool – dust mites need moisture to survive. Wool has microscopic pores that respond effectively to changes in humidity making it unfavorable for the growth and breeding of the house dust mite. Dust mite allergens are one of the triggers for asthma attacks.
- They are chemical-free. Producers of organic wool comforters do not use any toxic chemicals, dyes and bleaching agents in their manufacturing process. This makes them safer and more tolerable for people of all ages with sensitive skin or people that are allergic to synthetic and bleached materials.
Now, when it comes to the best organic wool comforters, here are our top picks for making your choice easier.
THE 4 BEST ORGANIC WOOL COMFORTERS
Full Circle Organic Farm is a USDA-certified organic farm in Howell, Michigan that prides itself on making wool duvets that are filled with wool from USDA organic sheep. The majority of wool duvets sold in the U.S. are imported, so while this farm crafts duvets in small batches (they have new comforters ready going into each winter season), we feel it’s important to list them *first* as the ideal purchase – the best of USDA-certified organic, locally-made and artisan-crafted by hand. If you miss one this year, it is worth getting on their waiting list!
FULL CIRCLE ORGANIC FARM WOOL DUVET INSERT KEY FEATURES:
- Naturally sourced and processed. The wool used to make this wool duvet filling comes directly from the farm in Michigan and is cleansed with natural soap and processed by antique carding machines that involve the use of steam and humidity to complete the wool inserts. There are no chemicals used throughout the process as it is merely mechanic and old-fashioned.
- Warm and comfortable form. The Full Circle Organic Farm wool duvet cover is designed to provide optimal warmth and comfort. Thanks to its dense organic wool construction inside which evens out the temperature and its breathable cheesecloth casing (yep, the kind you cook with – it’s important to let wool breathe), this wool duvet insert/comforter will keep you snuggly and toasty warm throughout the night.
- Lightweight. Wool is naturally less bulky and more dense in texture, which makes it more lightweight than a down duvet. If you prefer a lightweight yet warm comforter to keep you nice and warm without any extra loftiness, this organic wool comforter is a perfect choice. Plus, its lightweight and flexible form makes it easier to store when it’s not needed.
You can tell by trying out this product that they have placed much emphasis on the quality of its construction and this results in a perfectly comfortable and durable product that you will embrace for many years.
Holy Lamb Organics is a Washington brand that takes pride in creating 100% Organic GOTS-certified bedding and bath products. Most of their products are handmade and stitched with plenty of love and care so that they feel totally luxurious, warm and comfortable to the touch.
Currently, their range of products includes pillows, mattress toppers, comforters, duvet covers & bed sheets, baby bedding sets, pet bedding products, and much more. Because of its totally caring and environmentally-friendly standards, the brand has been featured in Oprah Magazine and ABC World News.
HOLY LAMB ORGANICS WOOL COMFORTER KEY FEATURES:
- Wide range of sizes and temperature needs. The wool comforter not only comes in different sizes e.g crib, twin, king, queen, but it also covers different temperature needs too-there is a comforter for warmness, another for coolness, one for cool lightweight comfort and one that strikes a perfect balance between the two. The coolest comforter is the most lightweight and thin whereas warmer ones are loftier and denser.
- Made of GOTS-certified 100% pure wool. This wool is sourced from organic and ethical sheep farming and processed by a GOTS-certified facility indicating that its production has passed all rigorous tests and regulations for organic textile processing. This also guarantees that no toxic substances and chemicals were used to make it.
- Eco-friendly packaging. Not only is the product itself eco-friendly, but it also comes wrapped with a biodegradable and eco-friendly package that allows for easy storage of your product and can be recycled in the future if necessary.
This product certainly doesn’t disappoint when it comes to covering different temperature preferences. Whether you like your comforter warm and fluffy or lightweight and cool, this definitely works. It’s no wonder this has achieved a high rating of 4.6/5 stars (on average). The product is totally worth its cash.
Organic Textiles is a textile company based in Southern California that is committed to the creation of totally organic home and bedding products e.g bedsheets, pillows, duvet covers, comforters, mattress pads, cushion covers, velour bathrobes, towels, and much more. The company proudly adopts a totally eco-friendly and ethical sourcing and production process and the vast majority of its products are GOTS or GOLS-certified (in some cases both).
Organic Textiles Natural Wool Filled Comforter Key Features:
- Made of 100% pure cotton & wool fibers. This wool filled comforter is wrapped by a dense 350-thread count sateen cotton with no bleaches or chemicals used for its production. This translates to not only enhance natural comfort but nearly zero likelihood to cause allergic reactions.
- Temperature adjustment properties. Organic textiles Wool Comforter is made of breathable wool fibers that are capable of transferring heat and humidity throughout the entire interior body of the comforter. If you want to enjoy a good night of sleep without feeling too warm or cold, this wool-filled comforter simply is what you need!
- Hypoallergenic fiber structure. Wool may be a super-dense fiber but it has natural hypoallergenic properties as it naturally resists dust, mold, and mildew.
- It is also fire-resistant and flame-retardant which means that it’s hard to catch fire but in the unlikely event that it does, the flame burns at a slow pace and is easy to suffocate and extinguish in seconds. Cool, right?
- Comes with corner duvet tabs. The corner ties this comes with (little holes in the edges) are aimed at attaching to the duvet cover and keep everything in place so there is no pesky shifting or lifting up, something that happens frequently with other comforters.
- Natural odor-resistant properties. Forget about having to wash your wool comforter once a week (or more) because of lingering unpleasant odors. This naturally repels unpleasant smells (from humans or pets) and will stay smelling fresh for longer.
One of my best picks here because of its quality and highly comforting properties–and the fact that it comes with corner duvet tabs is something different that will keep it nice and tidy.
-> Available on Amazon <-
The organic Merino collection from Sleep & Beyond is without a doubt the highest accomplishment of the company.
The family-run business is renowned for offering 100% certified organic bedding items and their materials come from fair trade and sustainable factory units, located in Kyrgyzstan, India, England, China, and Pakistan.
Their products “perform like no other” and you can witness and feel the high quality of their products with the first touch.
ORGANIC MERINO WOOL COMFORTER KEY FEATURES:
- Filled with 100% USDA certified Merino wool and 300-thread 100% certified sateen cotton. Merino wool that comes from merino sheep is renowned for its quality and dense structure. The certified cotton casing also provides added comfort and enhanced breathability for a more comfortable bedtime.
- Hypoallergenic and healthy. The product is also approved by OKO-text, GOTS, Control Union and Organic Trade Association for being totally pure and free of any toxic chemicals, dyes, allergenic and carcinogenic substances. If you are conscious of your health and don’t want to encounter any allergic or any other adverse reactions, this product is certified by multiple organizations and is totally safe and healthy for regular use.
- Comes in 4 standard sizes. This wool comforter covers all standard bedding sizes: crib, full/queen, twin, and king. You may, therefore, purchase different sizes to cover all family beds.
I love this because it has the perfect weight and density to achieve a perfect temperature balance–it doesn’t feel too warm or bulky nor too cold and underwhelming. There is no need to add a blanket or any other extras other than a duvet cover when using this.
-> Get it at Amazon <-
Perhaps the only downside of these organic wool comforters is that they are a tad more costly compared to their synthetic counterparts. But we have to consider all their properties and their eco-friendly production. Their enhanced comfort and respect for human health makes their hefty price tag totally worth it. Think of it as a good investment that will give you natural comfort and will last you for years to come.
Keep in mind that the above are high-quality products that work on their own but it’s best to pair them with other organic bedding items e.g duvet covers, pillowcases, bedsheets, etc so you can make the most of your bedtime. The difference in your quality of sleep will be remarkable!
Have you tried any of these? Tell us your experiences down below…
This post was originally published on November 19, 2019.