Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
You are here because you are looking for an essential oil diffuser that will work in a large space. You need a diffuser that will output a lot of aroma and be able to stay on for extended periods of time. In this article, you will learn what essential oil diffuser is best for large rooms.
What to think about when looking for a diffuser:
- What space are you wanting to use it in? How many square feet is it?
- How long will you want it to be running? Do you want it to have auto-shut off? Will you be running it through the night?
- Do you want it to have light-up features? Can you turn the light off at night?
- Do you want to be able to adjust the mist?
- Can you use all types of essential oils, including thick or citrus oils?
- Does your diffuser need to be cleaned often?
- Is it easy to use?
- How often do you want to have to refill it?
There are 4 primary types of oil diffusers – nebulizers, ultrasonic (vibration based cool mist types), evaporative (fan based), and heat diffusers.
Nebulizers are the best type of essential oil diffuser. They break the essential oils up into tiny nano-particles and then disperse them into the air. They work with all types of essential oils, including thick ones.
Nebulizers are best for large spaces because they release a more concentrated mist than other types of diffusers. A Nebulizer diffuser can cover up to 1000 sq ft.
The second-best type is an ultrasonic diffuser. These are the quietest of the diffuser types and are almost as efficient as nebulizers. Ultrasonic diffusers use high-frequency vibration to disperse microscopic oil droplets into the air. They can also handle all oil types.
Nebulizer and ultrasonic types require less maintenance and are safer to operate than evaporative or heat diffusers.
Pros and Cons
- No water needed.
- Strong concentration of essential oils released in to the air.
- No lights so won't interrupt your sleep.
- Can cover large spaces up to 1000 sq ft.
- Louder than ultrasonic.
- Use oils more quickly than ultrasonic.
- A bit more costly than ultrasonic types.
- Quieter than nebulizer types.
- Usually more affordable than nebulizing diffusers.
- Doubles as a humidifier.
- Uses small amounts of essential oils.
- Need water to operate.
- Can't use citrus oils.
- Not as effective as nubulizing diffusers.
- Some have lights that can't be turned off.
- Most cannot cover spaces larger than 400 sq ft.
Some features to look for in an essential oil diffuser for large spaces are:
- Timer - Set your timer so that your nebulizing diffuser runs for about 15 minutes every hour. This will help conserve your oils.
- Speed or airflow regulator - This provides additional control over how much oil is diffused at a single point of time.
- Indicators to show oil levels - This will alert you to when you need to refill your diffuser.
- Auto shut-off - When you are running an essential oil diffuser in a large space, you may forget to turn it off.
- Long run time - A longer run time means less refilling.
The size of the tank within an essential oil diffuser is very important if you want to fill a big space with aroma. A large tank means that you do not have to refill your diffuser as often and it can run long enough to fill a large area. This only applies to ultrasonic diffusers, nebulizing types do not have a tank to fill.
If you are going to be using your essential oil diffuser at night, or during meditation, you will want it to operate quietly. Look for “whisper quiet technology”. Ultrasonic diffusers tend to run quieter than nebulizer types.
Guarantees and Warranties
A good essential oil diffuser will have a money-back guarantee. Typically the warranty will be good for one year. Look for a company that offers a satisfaction guarantee so that you can return the diffuser if you are unhappy with it.
We have done the research for you and found the best essential oil diffusers to cover large areas. We have included a top pick for both a nebulizer type and a ultrasonic type.
Make your home inviting! Scent is the first thing any guest will notice when they walk through your door. Aromas also improve your shopping experience, your office or work environment. You will love using a great essential oil diffuser, and we have helped pick the best ones, that are versatile, long lasting and not limited to a small area. Spread the scent!
As for oils, there is only one company I completely support and recommend for providing amazing quality oils, and that is Rocky Mountain Oils. I use them at home for everything. RMO is very clear about what they sell: 100% pure, therapeutic essential oils. They don't use fillers, synthetics or fragrance enhancers of any kind (they explain that "therapeutic grade," "100% Pure," "100% therapeutic," and any combination of those phrases are marketing terms used to describe essential oils like theirs that are free from contaminants, synthetics and adulterants and can be used for therapeutic purposes.) Essential oils are versatile and should be in everyone's home. I use mine all over my house, to clean, in my skin care, in my first aid kit, for particular ailments, and to improve my overall health.
Please leave any questions in the comments below, we always answer!
This post was originally published on July 28, 2016.