Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Seagrass rugs are famous for their texture and durability. They will hold up for years even with kids and pets. Seagrass is a reed grown in salt-water marshes, the material is non-porous, making it incredibly water-resistant. This impermeability makes spills easy to wipe up.
Seagrass has a beautiful neutral color consisting of light brown and beige hues with a hint of sage green. These rugs are smooth to the touch and have a natural sheen. A seagrass rug looks great in any room with any decor.
- Seagrass rugs are often bound with cotton or leather and can come already backed with latex to keep them from sliding around. If they do not have a latex backing, you will need a separate rug pad underneath.
- Seagrass doesn't take dye well, so you are limited to your color palette, but the great thing about their neutral color, is they go with any decor.
- Seagrass rugs are not the softest material, they almost feel like hardwood. They can be rough on little feet or for crawling babies, but it is easy to layer a softer rug on top of your seagrass rug if you find it too hard.
- Seagrass rugs work well in any room (but not outside). Even a dining room can host a seagrass rug, as the rug hides the food spills.
- The durability of a seagrass rug is hard to beat. I have friends with seagrass rugs that have lasted them for over seven years, and they still look beautiful!
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A SEAGRASS RUG
- Positive customer feedback. If other people are satisfied with their purchase, you should be too.
- A well-stitched border that will last for years to come.
- Densely woven material.
- Look for these high-quality brands: Safavieh, NuLoom, Anji Mountian, Natural Area Rugs, and Jaipur.
- A cotton canvas backing is more Eco-friendly than a latex backing.
The Best Seagrass Rugs
NaturalAreaRugs Four Seasons Collection Seagrass Area Rug
- Versatile solid pattern
- Ribbed construction
- Crafted from finest quality natural seagrass
- Sustainably harvested seagrass
- Crafted by skilled weavers
- Naturally anti-static
- Manufactured in the US
- Non-Slip latex backing
- 2-inch wide cotton border
- great for high traffic areas
Safavieh Herringbone Natural and Beige Seagrass Area Rug
- Power-loomed construction
- Intricately woven herringbone pattern
- Sustainably-harvested seagrass
- Felt-dotted, non-slip backing
- Cotton border
- Available in a variety of sizes
- Different colored borders available
Nuloom Elijah Seagrass Area Rug
- 100% seagrass
- Cotton border
- Comes in a variety of sizes and shapes
- Non-slip backing
- Excellent for high-traffic areas
- Low maintenance
- Great price
I hope this article has helped you on your hunt for an affordable, high-quality seagrass rug for your home! By far my favorite is the herringbone rug by Safavieh. Which one do you like?
Let us know if you have any questions! We always answer 🙂