Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Are you looking for a meditation cushion that is made out of organic materials? You have come to the right place! We have researched for you to bring you the best organic meditation cushions.
Why a Meditation Cushion?
Meditation cushions align your spine and body in the proper seated position to gain the most out of your meditation session. A properly aligned body will stay comfortable as you sit for prolonged periods.
What is a Meditation Cushion?
A meditation cushion is ergonomically designed to elevate your pelvis and place your hips above your knees, holding your spine in proper alignment.
When you are seated in this position, your blood flows properly through your legs and feet, meaning you won't develop aches and pains or pins and needles. You will be able to sit for more extended periods and reach a deeper meditative state.
Types of Meditation Cushions
- Zafu - a round, elevated "pillow" shaped cushion. Lifts your pelvis off the ground and provides support to your knees.
- Zabuton - A flatter cushion that is larger than a zafu, but not elevated.
Most commonly, your Zafu is placed on top of a Zabuton to provide whole-body support and the ultimate comfort.
What to Consider When Buying a Meditation Cushion:
- The height - this will determine how high off the ground you are seated. This can affect your comfort level.
- The shape - Different shapes of cushion accompany different meditating positions.
- The material - You will want a material that is soft, yet durable. It should feel good under your body and also withstand regular use. Organic cotton and hemp are excellent materials.
- The stuffing - Look for a soft and durable stuffing that will hold its shape. Kapok is an excellent stuffing material. Buckwheat is another suitable option.
We recommend spending more on high-quality cushions that will last you for years to come, rather than opting for a budget cushion, as they tend to wear out very quickly, losing stiffness, and not offering proper support. Being comfortable is essential to deep meditation, so don't cheap out on your meditation cushion!
With that, let's get to the best organic meditation cushions!
The Best Meditation Cushions made with Organic Materials
We love that these Zafu cushions are made with a velvety, 90% organic cotton cover, and an inner cover made of 100% organic cotton holding the buckwheat stuffing. The colors and carrying bag are beautiful.
- lovingly designed in Australia
- Two crystal inspired colors in luxurious velvet encourage a calm and relaxed atmosphere
- Each cushion comes with a stylish tote carry bag
- The washable cover unzips easily to reveal a separate GOTS certified organic cotton case filled with organic buckwheat hulls and soothing lavender.
- The filling can be added or removed to suit your personal preference.
- Excellent customer service from the seller, if you register your purchase you receive a kit to add to your meditation "toolbox," including, eBook, a guided meditation, and a 30 minutes soundtrack to promote more profound relaxation.
- For every cushion purchased, Ajna Wellbeing plants a tree.
We love the colorful selection of these Zabuton mats and the fact that they are made with organic cotton and eco-friendly dyes. Combine with your favorite Zafu cushion for a full meditation set.
- Large enough to protect knees, feet, and ankles during meditation.
- Filled with high-quality cotton fleece (2800 g/m²) for excellent comfort while sitting.
- The cushion folds/rolls up easily.
- The material is sturdy, bright, and unzips for easy washing.
- GOTS certified organic cotton.
-> See the Price on Amazon <-
- Overstuffed with buckwheat for a firm cushion.
- Easy zipper access so you can remove and add stuffing as needed.
- A convenient handle hides the durable zipper.
- Excellent customer service, if you have a problem with your cushion, Waterglider is there to remedy the issue.
- Comfortable and firm cushion.
- Well-made and a reasonable price.
We love the look of this meditation cushion and the fact that it is stuffed with a Kapok filling.
- Bright cotton cover and a supportive Kapok fill.
- They are specifically designed to support your low back, knees, and ankles during any seated practice.
- Organic & hypoallergenic.
- The square cushion protects knees and ankles for hours of comfort no matter what your floor surface
- Easy to clean.
- The color is rich and beautiful.
- Soft, comfortable, and sturdy.
A high-quality meditation cushion set that is durable and meant to last! Choose from non-organic and organic cotton options.
- Made at DharmaCrafts headquarters in Lawrence, Massachusetts.
- The zafu and Zabuton are made of heavy cotton duck.
- The Zabuton has cotton stuffing that is contained within a separate liner, which can be easily removed to clean the cover or to add or remove cotton.
- The zafu has an exterior zipper which, when opened, reveals an inner liner, also with a zipper. The liner can also be easily removed to add or remove the buckwheat hulls.
- Premium materials, double-stitched seams, and careful assembly make these cushions durable and well-made.
- Choose between regular and jumbo size mats.
- All covers are washable, and new covers may be ordered.
- The organic cotton cover is colored using low-impact dyes.
This set is perfect for a beginning meditator, as it comes with both a Zafu and Zabuton. We love the color selection and the option of organic cotton or hemp covers.
- 14” Round or 18” X-Large Oval shape Zafus are combined with a Large and Comfortable hand-tufted Zabuton Cushion.
- The Zabuton comes in a generous size of 32" by 26" and 3" thick.
- Zafus are filled with 100% organic buckwheat hulls - grown in the USA.
- Zabutons are filled with 100% cotton batting. (the Organic Cotton Zabuton has a 100% Organic Cotton batting fill).
- The Zafu buckwheat hull filling is easily removed for cleaning through the zippered opening which hides under the convenient Carry Handle
- Zabuton Cushion is hand-tufted and comes with a removable zippered cover.
- Available in 26 beautiful colors.
- Handmade in Chicago, USA, by Bean Products.
We hope you enjoyed this roundup of the best meditation cushions made with organic materials. Let us know which one you like best in the comments below! And if you have any questions, we will do our best to help you out.
This post was originally published on November 7, 2019.