Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Pet beds may have been around ever since dog and cat petting became a norm but if we go back in time, the first versions of pet beds were not exactly comfortable nor very practical for pets and owners alike (and the environment) as they were made of plastic or other harsh materials and chemical filling.
Thankfully though, eco-friendly pet beds have emerged in the market and pet owners couldn't be happier as they come with a whole bunch of benefits ordinary pet beds can’t offer. So what are eco-friendly pet beds and why or what you should be looking for when purchasing one? Eco-friendly pet beds are actually pet-beds made from recycled and environmentally friendly materials e.g recycled clothing fibers or recycled plastic fillings and non-toxic dyes. Some brands may feature as much as 108(!!) recycled bottles in their bed fillings, which is of course a great way to reuse old plastic bottles.
They are also optimized and tested for pet comfort and the materials are really soft and not harsh for your delicate pet.
When shopping for an eco-friendly pet bed, you should be aware of the following parameters to make a smart and informed choice:
Eco-friendly beds are roughly made of the same or similar materials e.g recycled plastic fibers but some have minor differences which may affect the quality of your eco pet bed.For instance, some materials may be more chew and bite-resistant while others e.g hemp fibers are more soft and snugly. Some models are also more suited to sensitive dogs with allergies in chemicals or other materials as they don’t use any chemical based dyes.
Eco-friendly pet beds, just like ordinary pet beds, can last up to 2 years, provided the pet owner chooses a high-quality model and takes care of the bed properly e.g cleaning it with environmentally safe cleaning solutions. However, some models are made of more durable materials and may last a bit longer. Look for labels such as “100% organic” fibers or solid recycled materials as indication of a durable and sustainable pet bed. Also look for models that come with a replacement, recycle or repair guarantee, using your own or the producer’s recycled materials.
Perhaps the most important part of a pet bed for the pet itself is the level of comfort it provides. Some pet beds specifically are flat and more appropriate for dogs that need to simply rest and cool off while some others eg donut or extra cushion types are more comfortable and appropriate for smaller pets who need extra warmth and coziness. If your pet doesn’t really spend much time in their bed, you may invest in a flat square bed whereas if your bed likes to snuggle for hours, you may invest in a soft round donut bed with extra cushioning.
Ease of cleaning
When looking for a good dog pet, you should look out for a model where all individual cushion parts or the whole bed itself can be easily cleaned and washed in a washing machine. Some models are washing-machine friendly, while others are more waterproof and may require dry or hot steaming cleaning methods. Nonetheless, a good quality model will be easy to clean and a quality manufacturer will provide you with cleaning instructions to clean this properly without damaging it.
IF THE CHOICE OF AVAILABLE ECO-FRIENDLY PET BEDS OVERWHELMS YOU, HERE OUR BEST PICKS FOR ECO-FRIENDLY PET BEDS IN 2019:
Naturo Bed is a brand that boasts in using 100% organic materials e.g organic wool and organic cotton to make their pet beds and absolutely no pesticides, chemicals, and artificial dyes which can bother both your pet and the environment in a negative way. Their products are a great choice for those seeking natural comfort and durability at the same time and their love and care for pets and the environment is truly reflected in all their products.
Naturo Pet Natural Dog and Cat Bed features:
- 100% natural materials. Each bed is made with 100% wool, cotton or coconut coir fiber materials and no chemicals which may be bad for your pet and the eco-system.
- Quality comfort. Thanks to the premium cushioning and lining, the bed’s design offers extra support while matching your pet’s pressure points and body structure. The organic wool cushions will help ease tension and are a perfect match for aging pets with achy joints.
- Easy to clean. This bed model comes with an exterior and interior organic cotton cover which can be easily removed and tossed in the washing machine or tumbled dried.
If your pet doesn’t like to lie on fancy beds and tears them apart fast, this simple and comfortable bed design is all you need. Plus, we believe it’s a great option for pets with allergies in chemicals as well as older pets.
Another great catch from Naturo Bed, which is renowned for using organic and ecological materials to make a completely natural, durable and comfortable products.
Naturo Bed Natural Dog and Cat Bed features:
- Perfect fit and size.The model comes in three flexible size that fit nearly every size of pet, from the smallest to the largest and the flat yet flexible structure can fit and adjust to the contours of any pet body.
- Made of natural materials. Thanks to its natural latex core part, natural wool and special coconut fibers, this one provides premium and durable comfort while respecting your pet and the environment.
- Water resistant. The exterior covers and cushioning are made of a water-resistant material which means that you can use it both indoors and outdoors e.g by the pool without any worries of water spills.
A natural yet totally luxurious pick for pet owners who are fed up with tears, bites and scratches that make the product nearly useless very fast as this is meant to last and tolerate all sorts of pet damage.
Play has an impressive range of eco-friendly lounge dog beds--from traditional ones to extra cushion types that can be easily removed and cleaned. The company does the environment a favor by using up to 108 recycled bottles to make each pet bed as well as FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) paper to make their tags.
PLAY eco-friendly lounge bed key features:
- Comes in 4 different sizes. No matter how big or large your pet is, there is a size for everyone--from small to x-large.
- Comes in 26 different designs and patterns. If you don’t want to settle with single “one-fits-all-design” there are more than 25 unique single and multiple color patterns to choose from so you can choose the one that suits your taste and the rest of the furnishings.
- Furniture-grade construction.The craftsmanship is furniture-grade which means that the structure and stitching is solid enough and will last longer, just like typical furniture.
- Made of 100% post-consumer verified recycled bottles. Each pillow features up to 108 recycled plastic bottles and high loft planet filler.
- Washing and dry machine safe. No worries about cleaning your pet bed. You can simply toss it on your washing machine and then dry out without worrying about damaging it.
We like that this doesn’t look like an eco-friendly pet bed at all and has everything that the pet owner wants in their bed for their beloved pet. It definitely looks like a lot of care and thought went on this one.
Big shrimpy is a brand that stands out in the eco-friendly pet bed industry as it offers ultra-comfortable beds made of durable recycled materials e.g plastic bottles and plus, it’s one of the few brands that recycle bought and used beds thanks to their full circle program--and yes, you won’t waste anything or burden the environment further as you can always recycle your old and outworn pet bed at a minimal cost.
Big Shrimpy Pet Faux Nest Bed Features
- Comfortable and cozy. A bolster, core cushion, inner liners and other parts come with handy zipped liners so that all bed parts are easily available. Plus, they come with a 3-year replacement warranty.
- Made of eco-friendly fibers. Each bed is made of recycled polyester fibers from multiple plastic bottles and you bed can be again recycled using similar fibers in case you need a replacement.
- Machine-friendly. All parts of your bed can be easily washed in your washing machine and are meant to withstand several washes throughout their life (around 3 years).
In our opinion, this is one of the most comfortable and cozy picks for a pet dog bed and if you have a pet that likes to snuggle and curl in their bed for hours, this is definitely a top pick--and of course their full recycle program certainly helps the environment and your pocket as well.
West Paw design prides in offering a wide range of dob beds in various designs e.g mat and pillow beds and beds with extra cushioning for pets with achy joints. They are a relatively small manufacturer but they are already a certified “B” corporation which means that they adhere to a business model that solves social and environmental challenges and primarily uses sustainable methods and materials to make their products.
West Paw Design HeyDay Dog Bed key features:
- Guaranteed durability and dog-damage resistance. Does your pet like to chew things like these all the time? No problem, as this little gem here is bite and dog-damage resistant thanks to an inner liner that tolerates paws and claws.
- Antimicrobial and odor-repellent fabric.If you don’t want your pet bed to be smelling that unpleasant dog odor and need regular washes on your part to get rid of it, this odor-repelling and antimicrobial material won’t make it happen.
- Easy to clean. This model comes with a zipped outer cover that you can easily wash in the washing machine and its designed to withstand several washes.
- Comes in 8+ solid colors. If you want a particular color that suits your room furnishings, there is a good choice of popular shades that are not too bright nor too dark so they can blend effortlessly with the style of your room.
We like that this pet bed model is simple but has many “hidden” qualities and the odor-resistant and easy to wash material is definitely a plus for owners who don’t have the time to wash the entire bed regularly.
This small pet product manufacturer has an entire story behind their idea and brand. The co-founder of Smiling Paws, Victoria Davis, always had a love and flair for crafts and had this lovely idea to create new pet products from old household stuff of hers and her neighbors and turn them into handy and convenient pet product e.g feeders, scratchers, toys and of course “beds” as means to breath new life to old stuff instead of throwing it in the trash and burdening the environment. By browsing through their products, you can tell that a lot of love and creativity was used to make them.
Smiling Paws Premium Cat & Dog Pet Bed Features:
- Luxurious premium design. This pet bed may be created from old and recycled materials and trash but the entire design is totally luxurious, comfy and chic at the same time.
- Extra comfort. Ideal for doggies and cats that prefer or exclusively sleep and lounge on beds with soft core, side and bottoms. The ultra soft and breathable material provides extra comfort during the summer or winter months where heat or cold are not easily tolerated.
- Easy to clean. This premium cat and dog bed makes cleaning a piece of cake as you can easily toss it in the washing machine or simple use a damp sponge or clean damp cloth to clean its cover in seconds.
- 100% guarantee. Based on their several happy customers, your pet and you as the owner will love this but in case this doesn’t live up to your expectations, you can simply return this and get your money back.
We especially love that this is made of a totally comfortable yet durable material and with proper care, we bet this will last for a few years.
So there you have our top choices for quality eco-friendly pet beds that are worth investing in as they are not only friendly for the environment but are designed to last too.
What kind of pet do you have? Are you a cat or dog person?
Happy Bed Hunting,