Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
With people like Oprah and Dr. Oz recommending it, the Essentia Mattress may seem as if it is a sure thing for anyone eager to enjoy better sleep. Is it? That is the point of this Essentia Mattress Review. In it, we are going to consider what you need from any mattress that can reasonably claim to be a good mattress, let alone the "world's healthiest mattress" as Essential Mattress claims at its website.
After all, mattress quality is a pretty subjective thing. You might love a mattress because it meets your needs for firmness while someone else dislikes a mattress because it is far too hard for their comfort.
So, how do you begin to realize just whether or not the Essentia Mattress is for you? You start by knowing how to actually go about shopping for a healthy mattress. And there are healthy versus unhealthy options.
Healthy vs. Unhealthy
You may not think of your mattress as "gassy", but most commercially made mattresses do a lot of "off gassing". This is the release of the harmful materials that are used to create most mattresses. They are known as VOCs or volatile organic compounds, but there are also adhesives used in most mattresses, petroleum based foams, and flame retardants, among other compounds.
At all times, these materials are going to be aging and degrading. They will put out a lot of gases and even transfer some of their toxins through contact with your skin. So, not only do they reduce the overall air quality in your home, but they can make you ill just by sleeping on them for hours and hours out of each day.
That is why one of the number one rules of healthy mattresses is to buy "organic" and "natural" to the greatest extent possible. The Essentia Mattress can be called one of the healthiest because it uses only organic and natural materials and skips all of the chemically treated agents. And, we need to reiterate that last statement because many mattresses and mattress covers can claim to be organic when it is only the top that is organic while the rest includes potentially harmful agents like polyester and traditional, pesticide-heavy cotton.
However, even if you find an exterior or cover that is organic at every level, you also have the latex padding and fill to consider.
Look for Healthy Latex
Latex can be made with petroleum based agents OR it can come from sustainably farmed tree saps that are carefully converted into a safe, risk free form of latex. Again, this is why the Essentia Mattresses can justify calling themselves the healthiest because they contain certified organic latex.
This is used as a base on the bottom of the mattress and is a perfect substitute for the traditional box spring. With a non-slip grip on the bottom, it ensures your mattress stays firmly in place on the bed or base. Then, a natural memory foam layer is added to create the ultimate sleep experience.
Rather than relying on a series of metal springs to attempt to distribute weight and offer ideal support, a healthy mattress relies on natural latex memory foam. Not only does it keep you far more comfortable, but it resists the development of allergens such as dust mites, mildew and mold.
This is the layer that has made the Essentia Mattress such a popular choice. It was one of the first natural memory foam products, but it also boosted the overall health of the mattress as it naturally relieves pressure points and keeps the body at the ideal temperature.
That is not the end of the layering, though, and the Essentia Mattress actually has a unique molding process they call their Wholebody Recovery mattress. This is designed to optimize the sleep experience and make moving easier and more supported.
In addition to being made of natural materials and designed to offer a much longer life span than most mattresses, the Essentia Mattresses also have a unique unbleached cotton cover that helps to prolong the life of the mattress and its innovative materials. Known as a bucaneve wrap, it is a durable cover that keeps everything in peak condition. A removable cover of organic cotton meets the essential definition of healthy bedding and is easily removed for regular washings.
Essentia offers a 20 year warranty on their mattresses.
Pros and Cons of the Essentia Mattresses
- Offers seven different adult-size mattresses that vary in firmness.
- Offer a child-size mattress.
- Have an above-average lifespan.
- Conform closely and alleviate pressure.
- Produce no noise.
- You can return your mattress at any point during the 60-night sleep trial in exchange for a partial refund.
- Essentia mattresses sleep quite cool compared to other latex mattresses.
- Minimize and isolate motion to a significant extent.
- Limited off-gassing.
- Weak edge support, which is normal for latex mattresses.
- May feel bottom-heavy and be relatively difficult to maneuver, due to the Dunlop latex at its core having heavier sediment at the bottom.
- Price point is slightly above average compared to other latex models.
- Customers must pay a 9% return fee if they want to return their mattress.
Of course, Essentia Mattresses also remain ahead of the curve by acknowledging that there are no universal answers or "one size fits all" sleep solutions. That is why they make an array of styles available. They start with their Bionda mattress for those who like softer surfaces. There is the Stratami which is a sort of mid-range model offering optimal comfort and the Tatami is the premium model in the natural memory foam line up.
They also have performance mattresses that reduce motion transfer as they ensure your air quality remains optimal and pressure points are supported. These include the Classic 8 with its firmer finish and the Energie Opus for deep therapeutic pressure relief. Lastly, the Wholebody Recover Mattresses (mentioned earlier) are for those who want the greatest level of sleep support. There is the Beausommet for posture support and pressure relief, the Dormeuse for sleep support and the Dormeuse Fior which is the utmost in luxury.
No Essentia Mattress review could be complete without mentioning the different models. They offer targeted solutions to a long list of common sleep issues. The key, however, is that all of the Essentia Mattress products have been designed with the healthiest sleep as the goal. Whether it is that you need a lot of pressure relief on specific points or you want a luxurious sleep experience, there are models available.
Essnentia Mattress Models Breakdown
Support Core Components
Comfort Layer Components
2 layers of 3" GOLS certified organic latex foam with dome-shaped pattern.
6.5 (Medium Firm)
5″ Dunlop Latex
3″ GOLS certified organic latex foam with dome-shaped pattern.
6.5 (Medium Firm)
7" Dunlop latex SoftGripTM Cotton Base Layer
1" 5.25lbs Density Natural Memory Foam
6 (Medium Firm)
6″ Dunlop Latex
2″ 5.25lbs Density Natural Memory Foam
4 (Medium Soft)
5" Dunlop latex
SoftGripTM Cotton Base Layer
3" 5.25lbs Density Natural Memory Foam
6.5 (Medium Firm)
5″ Dunlop Latex
2″ 6.25lbs High Density Natural Memory Foam
4.5 (Medium Soft)
4″ Dunlop Latex
2″ 6.25lbs High Density Natural Memory Foam
3″ Dunlop Latex
3″ Fior Formula 6.25lbs High Density Natural Memory Foam
3″ Organic Latex
Essentia offers a 60-Night Sleep Trial.
- There is no mandatory break-in period, you can return the mattress at any point during the 60 night trial.
- If you decide to return your mattress, there is a transportation fee of about 9%, or 18% for the Grateful Bed JR.
- Customers outside of Canada and the US must pay all shipping and handling costs associated with the return, as well as a 5% processing fee.
- Mattresses must be in good condition to be returned. Individual customers may only return a maximum of two mattresses.
Essentia offers a 20-year warranty for all current mattresses.
- Warranty coverage starts on the date of purchase. The warranty is separated into two parts:
- The first 10 years are nonprorated. Essentia will repair or replace any defective mattress. Customer pays shipping and handling.
- For years 11 - 20 the warranty is prorated:
- Year 11: 50% of manufacturers suggested retail price (MSRP)
- Year 12: 48% of MSRP
- Year 13: 45% of MSRP
- Year 14: 40% of MSRP
- Year 15: 35% of MSRP
- Year 16 - 20: 25% of MSRP
- The warranty does not include the mattress cover. The mattress cover is protected under a separate 2 year warranty.
- The warranty will cover visible indentations or sagging in the sleep surface that measure three-quarters of an inch (3/4″) or deeper.
- The warranty does not cover:
- Changes in the customers sleep preferences
- Replacement or repair requests that occur due to mismatched sheets or bedding.
- Allergies or medical conditions the owner experiences after sleeping on the mattress.
- Burns, tears, stains, cuts, and other types of physical damage caused by owner misuse, improper cleaning, and/or inadequate foundational support.
- Normal increases in latex or foam softness that do not affect the bed’s pressure-relieving abilities.
- Visible indentations or sagging in the sleep surface that do not measure three-quarters of an inch (3/4″) or deeper.
- Warranty protection is only available to the original purchaser of the mattress.
What People Love About Essentia
- Durability - Essentia mattresses last a long time.
- Motion Isolation - Essentia mattress minimizes and isolates motion to a significant extent.
- Responsive - relatively responsive compared to other latex models, but minimal compared to the responsiveness of most innersprings and hybrids.
- Conforming - Essentia mattresses conform closely and alleviate a good deal of pressure.
- Little Off-Gassing - owners say the smells dissipate rather quickly.
- No Noise - Essentia mattresses are virtually silent.
Essentia Costumer Complaints
- Minimal edge support.
- Dunlop core is bottom-heavy, making maneuvering the mattress difficult.
- Above average price point.
- Potentially expensive fees if you want to return it.
Essentia Mattresses Are Right for you if...
- You want a durable and long-lasting mattress
- You want a highly conforming bed that will cradle your body and offer pressure-point-free sensation.
- You want limited bounce
- You are an average sized person (about 140 - 230 pounds)
- You want a mattress that won't off-gas
- You want good motion isolation
Essentia Mattresses May Not be Right for you if...
- You are over 230 pounds, the mattress may lack the thickness needed for proper support
- You are a very light person (below 130 pounds). You may not exert enough pressure on the mattress – especially a firmer model – to benefit from its conforming ability. Excessive pressure points may result.
- You want to be able to move the bed around - like most latex based mattresses, these are heavy.
Where to Buy
It is best to buy your Essentia Mattress direct from their website, that way you take advantage of their customer support and 60-night sleep trial.
These mattresses come with a 60 day guarantee and you can get in touch with Essentia to return yours if you dislike it for any reason. With so many favorable reviews from authenticated buyers, and with so many health benefits apart from good sleep, we suggest you visit one of the many Essentia stores or get in touch and place an online order for your new, healthier bedding.
Read Our Other Mattress Reviews:
If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments below and we will do our best to answer!
To a Good Night's Sleep,