Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Though you may think that air purifiers are a recent innovation in the world of technology, they have been actually present for approximately two centuries. From being used as protective mask for fireman, air purifiers are now widely used throughout household with the goal to keep family members safe from airborne pollutants, which has become a priority. Namely, statistics shows more than 50 million American citizens suffer from asthma and allergies so more and more people are searching for efficient methods to better the air such as using air purifiers.
THE BEST AIR PURIFIER FOR MOLD
How Dangerous Is Polluted Air?
Pollutants like pollen, bad bacteria, viruses, smoke, etc. are invisible to the naked eye, but they can cause serious damage onto the lungs and the immune system. This is where air purifiers can be of great aid; they have a great capacity to fight off both seen and unseen allergens. For a successful elimination of these harmful elements from the air we breathe, air purifiers work on the basis of ozone, electrical attraction, or filters.
Different Types of Air Purifiers
- Ozone air purifiers are not recommendable because the ozone emission has a negative impact on the health and the EPA and ALA advise against their usage. Though ozone keeps us safe from harmful UV rays in the atmosphere, on the ground, it is a strong lung irritant and when it is created artificially, it can worsen allergies and asthma and trigger coughing, pain in the chest, shortness of breath, and irritated throat. These purifiers have high voltage electrical currents which transform oxygen to ozone, which acts as an oxidant and dissolves airborne microorganisms and molecules, but not indoor allergens.
- Air purifiers with filters have fine sieves which filter the particles from the air. The sieve traps tiny particles and the accepted standard is 99.97 percent of trapped particles (larger than 0.3 microns) and it has been set by HEPA filters. These filters can eliminate dust, chemicals, asbestos, pet dander, as well as pollen. They are usually integrated in a trio of several varieties working together, for example, pre-, HEPA, and carbon filters. What is crucial to mention is the fact that the filters need to be regularly cleaned or replaced for an optimal effect and this is conditioned by the model of the air purifier (there are permanent and replaceable filters).
- Air purifiers that work on the basis of electrical attraction can be of 3 types, i.e. electret filters, electrostatic precipitating cleaners, and negative ion generators. These purifiers are the ideal choice for people who cannot afford the replacement of HEPA filters, which can be rather pricy. However, they have one major disadvantage, that is, the creation of a hazardous by-product, ozone.
Choosing the Best Air Purifier for You and Your Family
Most purifiers available on the market are designed for one room and this should be the room where you spend most of your time like the living room or where it is most needed like a kitchen or a smoking area. A viable option is a mobile purifier which can be moved from one place to another, depending on your needs.
Besides being able to breathe a cleaner air and improve your overall health and avert health-related complications, air purifiers are also highly recommendable for people who suffer from asthma and other allergic reactions because it will minimize the severity of their symptoms, of course, in combination with regular and adequate cleaning of their homes.
Additionally, air purifiers are good for the home itself since they can lower mold and rot. Unfortunately, mold infestation poses a health threat. It grows as a result of elevated humidity and moisture indoors. Molds are types of funguses that produce harmful substances which can be problematic for more sensitive individuals and trigger lung, eye, nose, throat, and skin irritation and even more serious respiratory complications.
The Best Air Purifier for Mold
Our suggestion for a top quality and affordable air purifier is without doubt the Germ Guardian 3 in 1 Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter by Guardian Technologies. The company is known for its ongoing dedication to introducing potent, safe, and innovative technologies and their goal is to pave the way for healthier and happier home environments for people from the whole world.
If you decide to purchase an air purifier with a HEPA filter like this model, you will make a long-term and smart investment, surely. This is because the filter will not just catch dust and allergens, but the activated carbon filter layer will decrease unpleasant household odors coming from cooking, smoking, and pets. What’s more, the UV-C light technology, with the help of Titanium Dioxide, works to destroy germs, viruses, bad bacteria, and mold spores present in the air and water. Hence, this happens when the light makes changes in the germs’ genetic structure and as a result they die.
In addition to its optimal performance in cleansing indoor air from a variety of pollutants, this purifier has a superb and modern design and a simple 3-color combination too. The oval-like shape of the purifier contributes to its minimalistic appearance and makes this appliance a great addition to any type of room decor. With its 22 inches and light weight, it is most effective for small to medium areas. Another amazing feature customers particularly appreciate is definitely the quiet operation. For an even better customer experience, the company gives a 3-year limited warranty.
According to customer reviews, the claims for the preference of the product are genuine and they claim that using this purifier has significantly reduced allergy-related symptoms and helped them improve their quality of sleep long-term. Nonetheless, there are other customers whose experience with this appliance is not as positive. That is, some users complained of a cable issue after only 6 months of use whereas other customers were upset with the release of unpleasant burning-like smell coming from the purifier, which almost caught fire.
- 3 year warranty
- Filter change indicator
- UV bulb replacement indicator
- Kills airborne germs including: staph, influenza, and rhinovirus
- Captures dust mites, pollen, pet dander and many other allergy triggers
- Relatively cost-effective and efficient air purifier for a room under 200 square feet
- Does a good job of cleaning dust out of the air.
- Filters are easy to replace.
- Filters are relatively inexpensive.
- Really quiet on low setting (enough to filter a small room).
- No assembly.
- Light weight, so easy to move around.
- Can run continuously for 24 hours.
- Some people experience a burning plastic smell. This goes away with continued use.
- Lights on the unit are very bright and might be annoying at night when you are trying to sleep.
- The fan makes a high-pitched sound if it is on the highest setting.
- The airflow comes out to one side and its the direction is not adjustable.
- The filters can get expensive.
Final Thoughts on the Germ Guardian AC4825 3 in 1 Air Purifier
If good health, clean air, and mold-free home are a first concern for you and your loved ones, this inexpensive purifier with superior performance is a wise decision. From HEPA filters and carbon layers to minimal noise and an impressive design, it appears that this model indeed fulfils all important requirements.
Let us know if you have any questions in the comments below, we always answer!