Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Without doubt, sleeping has a crucial impact on our overall health and well-being because it is the period when the body and mind rest and recuperate so that we have the necessary strength and energy for the following day, according to the National Sleep Foundation. During the phase of deep sleep, our brains create new pathways for learning and memory and children especially need quality sleep in order to properly grow and develop.
Unfortunately, not being able to get sufficient amounts of rest and sleep makes us more prone to a variety of diseases and conditions, from high blood pressure and heart disease to depression and poor concentration and reduction in focus. Although there are more than a dozen factors that contribute to a soothing slumber, a good bed plays a vital role. What’s more, this claim is backed up by a study that associates sleep discomfort and chronic ache with low-quality mattresses, which can have a negative effect on the long-term health.
With this in mind, this article is focused on presenting the major characteristics of quality mattresses and on reviewing the Zenhaven mattress by Saatva and showing how can it be of help in fixing your sleep and bettering your overall health and quality of life.
On the Road to a Quality Mattress
As noted on South Eastern Spine, optimal comfort and ergonomic support are pivotal so that one can get a good night’s sleep. When deciding on a mattress, though the price matters, you should definitely take into consideration that most of these beds from trusted brands do come at a higher price, but are made with 100 percent natural materials and are free of toxins and chemicals and when taken proper care of, they can last for years and years, which makes them a long-term and smart investment in your health, but in the health of your loved ones too.
Furthermore, since there are no two same bodies, there is no one-size that will fit every sleeper and there are several aspects you should pay attention to when searching for a mattress, i.e. type of body, personal history, and sleeping habits. For example, there are back, side, or stomach sleepers; people who are heavier and need a firmer mattress vs. slimmer people who need a softer mattress; etc. Also, a lot of people who have back problems may benefit more from a specific type of mattress depending on their needs.
The basic principle of the Saatva Company is supplying their customers with comfortable, durable, and affordable mattresses without any additional costs associated with retailing. Nowadays, the company is considered to be one of the largest online-only companies for mattresses in the U.S. with coast-to-coast shipping. They believe that their success is a result of their ongoing dedication to individual consumer satisfaction and recommendations and they are especially proud of being able to bring their environmentally-friendly brands to customers from all 50 states. When it comes to mattresses, they offer 3 different styles, i.e. The Saatva, the Loom & Leaf, and the Zenhaven.
The Zenhaven Mattress
The Zenhaven mattress is a luxurious mattress which gives a completely new dimension to comfort. It is handcrafted in the U.S. and consisted of 100 percent natural American Talalay latex, 100 percent organic wool from New Zealand, and a lush organic cotton wrap.
What customers particularly appreciate about this state-of-the-art mattress is the exclusive Guardin botanical antimicrobial treatment of the fabric whose aim is to prolong the lifespan of the mattress through the removal of bacteria on the cotton fabric. The Talalay latex supplies amazing pressure-free support for every curve of the body, but it is also hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites and mold and has zero toxins.
The organic layer from wool serves as a flame-retardant barrier, but it is pivotal for the breathability and moisture-wicking characteristics of the mattress too. It is worth pointing out the mattress’s Adjustable Base that enables a perfect balance between the head and feet and the customized height settings that you can control with a remote, as well as some futuristic features like the massage option and the under-bed illumination.
When it comes to the firmness level of the mattress, the customer can choose between two different ranges, that is, Luxury Plush and Gentle Firm. The former is chosen by 80 percent of customers and it gives an effortless support to the body and a plush feel at all times; whether for a short afternoon nap or a nighttime rest. The latter is 18 percent firmer than the softer variant and it is the ideal choice for people who want or need a firmer mattress. Even though you are lying on a firmer mattress, you will still feel weightless and naturally-lifted. At the price of $1,899 (Queen Size) and 120 days home trial and 20-year warranty, it does seem that this mattress really has it all.
However, as Joe Auer from Mattress Clarity explains, some customers do not decide on this mattress when they are shopping on a budget and when they take into consideration that there are available superior mattresses priced under $1000. Furthermore, if you prefer the feeling of “sinking in” into your mattress, you should not go with the Zenhaven because it is known to provide a more balanced and contouring feel. Of course, if you plan on having the mattress for couple of years only and then go with another one, it is not a good option to go with this model because it is made with optimal-durability materials aimed to last for decades. Some customers are set back by the heaviness of the mattress (due to the latex), which makes moving rather difficult and complicated.
- Made from 100 percent organic materials
- Durable and breathable
- Offers pressure-free support for the whole body
- Comes with two levels of firmness
- It is hypoallergenic
- It is fire resistant
- Suitable for lighter and heavier sleepers
- Great resilience/bounce
- Hand delivered, not shipped in a box
- high cost
- heavy and complicated for movement - the queen-size mattress weighs 125 pounds
- does not provide a feeling of “sinking in”
- does a fairly good job of containing motion, but you will feel your partners movements.
Zenhaven Construction and Layers
- Mattress Height: 10"
- Comfort Layer: 1.5" Talalay Latex
- 2-in-1 Comfort Technology: Side A: Luxury Plush. Side B: Gentle Firm
- Support Layer: 6” Talalay Latex
- Body Support Zones: 5
- Flame-Retardant: 1" New Zealand Wool
- Top Style: Quilted
- Top Fabric: Organic Cotton
- Latex Type: 100% USA made Talalay Latex
Difference Between Talalay and Dunlop Latex
If you are researching natural and organic mattresses, you have probably come across the terms Dunlop and Talalay Latex. What are the differences and similarities between the two?
The terms Dunlop and Talalay refer to the production method used to turn liquid latex sap into the elastic support layers used in mattresses. Let's talk about each of these methods and compare the two:
- Dunlop is an older method than Talalay
- Both methods start with whipping liquid latex into a batter and pouring it into a mold, but Talalay uses two extra steps:
- A vacuum is created to fill the mold evenly and completely
- The latex is flash frozen, at -20° F, locking the particles into a more even distribution.
- Talalay process is more expensive and time-consuming.
- Talalay cells are 50% larger than Dunlop's, allowing 228% greater airflow.
- Talalay latex is a more elastic and springier than Dunlop latex.
Zenhaven Warranty & Trial Information
- Saatva offers a 120-night sleep trial for all Zenhaven mattresses.
- No mandatory break-in period associated with this sleep trial. Customers may return their mattress at any point during the sleep trial in exchange for a full refund.
- Sleep trial date begins on the date of delivery.
- Customers are responsible for a $99 delivery fee for their mattress return, but Saatva will cover all other costs.
- Saatva offers a 20-year non-prorated warranty on Zenhaven mattresses.
- For the first two years, Saatva will completely replace a mattress at no extra charge if it is deemed ‘defective’.
- For the last 18 years, Saatva will repair and re-cover a Saatva mattress for a transportation fee of $99 each way.
- The warranty is dependent on the use of a proper support system. The warranty is void if a Queen or King mattress is used with a metal bed frame that does not have a five- or six-legged support structure, or if a Twin or Full mattress is used with a metal bed frame that does not have four legs.
- The warranty will cover the following defects:
- Sagging or body indentations that are 3/4 inches or deeper and do not result from owner misuse.
- The warranty will not cover the following:
- Sagging or indentations that do not measure 3/4 inches or deeper. These are considered standard wear and tear.
- Burns, cuts, stains, and other types of physical damage that occur due to owner misuse, improper cleaning, or inadequate support.
- The warranty is only available for original owners that purchase their mattress from Zenhaven or an authorized retailer.
Fairness Replacement Option
- During years 3-5, owners may obtain a new mattress (rather than having the current one repaired) for 25% of the original price.
- During years 6-10, owners may obtain a new mattress (rather than having the current one repaired) for 50% of the original price.
- During years 11-20, owners may obtain a new mattress (rather than having the current one repaired) for 75% of the original price.
- Saatva will not charge a delivery fee for new mattresses for customers who choose this option.
- No matter how old the warranty is, customers can choose to keep the original mattress at no additional charge if they decide to obtain a new mattress at the rates listed above.
The Zenhaven is Right for you if..
- You want a hypoallergenic bed - Talalay latex is resistant to mold, microbes, and dust mites.
- You are unsure of the firmness level you will need - Zenhaven is ideal because it can be flipped for different firmness levels.
- You sleep hot - Latex resists body heat.
- You are looking for a long term investment - Latex is durable and this mattress will last a long time.
- You are a back or stomach sleeper - Because this bed is made entirely of latex it has a solid bounce that will support back and stomach sleepers.
- You want an all-natural product - This bed is perfect for the environmentally conscious consumer.
Zenhaven may not be Right for you if...
- You want to sink into your mattress - Latex offers more responsiveness than memory foam, it immediately responds when you move about the mattress. You will feel more that you sleep “on” the mattress rather than “in” it.
- You want to be able to move the bed around a lot - the queen-size mattress weighs 125 pounds, making it difficult to move around.
Final Thoughts on the Zenhaven Mattress
To conclude, due to the abundance of mattresses available in stores and online, customers often have a difficult time finding the most suitable bed for them. Nonetheless, after learning about the almost-flawless characteristics of the Zenhaven mattress, you will not need to look any further.
With this in mind, if you are not shopping on a budget and if you are not looking for a mattress with a “sink in” feel, you will definitely make a smart investment if you purchase this model. It is also highly recommendable for people with a more environmentally-friendly approach to life because there is nothing else but organic materials used to create this unique combination of functionality, art, and quality.
If you value modern technology and design incorporated into your mattress, the Zenhaven is waiting for you. With certainty, sleeping on this bed will bring the purity of nature in your bedroom and help you sleep in a way nature intended and you will wake up refreshed and full of energy for the new day.
See our Other Mattress Reviews:
If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments below!