Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
High traffic areas need a rug that is tough and durable and will withstand repetitive walking and running by adults, children, and animals. They need to be easy to clean and resistant to staining.
We have done the research for you to find high-quality, worth-your-money area rugs that will look great in your home. Keep reading to see our picks for the best natural fiber rugs for high traffic areas.
What to Look for in a Natural Fiber Rug
- Durability - You need a durable fiber that won't shed or pull or get worn away by repetitive walking.
- Stain Resistance - Fibers that repel dirt or are easy to spot clean will look good for years to come.
The Best Natural Fibers for High Traffic Areas
Sisal - known for its durability, sisal fibers are the toughest of the natural fibers used to make rugs. Sisal can be dyed and comes in a range of earthy hues. Sisal is absorbant, so spills must be dealt with quickly, it also can become slippery with a lot of wear, so it is not recommended for stairs.
Seagrass - This plant is non-porous and wonderfully water-resistant; it repels stains and is incredibly durable. Seagrass offers textures galore, with a light sheen that starts slightly green and fades to khaki. Your color choices are more limited with seagrass, as it doesn't take dye well.
Bamboo - Extremely durable and water-resistant, simple shake off the dirt and wipe spills clean. Bamboo has a similar appearance to hardwood, with a warm and earthy look.
Top 8 Natural Fiber Rugs for High Traffic Areas
I love the deep texture of this rug, as well as the variety of sizes available - from 2'x3' up to 10'X14'
- Crafted with 100% sustainable seagrass, so you know it is all-natural
- It is power-loomed, so the fibers will last and not shed all over your floor; this means less vacuuming!
- Neutral color means that this rug will go with any decor style.
- The sleekness of this rug will not obstruct doorways, so you don't have to worry about getting irritated every time you enter the room.
- Choose from a beige or black border to compliment your space.
- An anti-slip layer means you don't have to buy a separate backing, and the rug won't shift around on your hard floor.
- Vacuums well and is sweepable for quick clean-ups.
- Easy to spot clean spills without residue or ugly water/cleaner spots left from cleaning.
Many happy customers are talking about this rug over on Amazon, so head over there and check them out!
These Sisal rugs from casa pura are a great choice because they come in a variety of colors that you don't usually see in sisal rugs, and it comes in a variety of sizes, including rectangular and square sizes.
- Choose from a variety of colors, including red, black, brown, cork, or natural. The dyed rugs are created with non-toxic dyes, so no need to worry about VOC's off-gassing.
- Handwoven with cotton borders and has a non-slip backing, so you don't have to purchase a separate rug pad.
- Easy to care for with weekly vacuuming to clean up dirt.
- Because it is sisal, it won's shed and will last you years and years of use.
- Comfortable to walk on with bare feet.
- Spills are taken care of by merely blotting with water and a common detergent.
- It provides excellent traction for dogs and other animals on otherwise slippery floors.
You will love the casa pura sisal rugs for your high traffic areas. They are high-quality, well-made, easy to care for, and will last you a long time.
Head over to Amazon to read all the positive reviews.
I love the basketweave texture of this rug, along with a variety of border colors available, giving me the option to match this rug with my decor.
- You will have lots of options with this seagrass rug. Choose from a variety of border colors, shapes, and sizes for the perfect fit.
- Add a sun-kissed look to any coastal, farmhouse, casual, contemporary, or transitional décor styles.
- Power-loom construction ensures a tight weave and high durability.
- The low-pile height lets you efficiently use this rug under furniture.
- Has a non-slip backing to ensure your rug stays in place.
- Works well for layering softer rugs on top. The seagrass rug will keep your other rugs from shifting and moving around.
With over 1000 reviews on Amazon, these rugs are worth checking out!
Natural Area Rugs is a trusted brand that has been producing natural rugs for over 50 years. I love this seagrass rug because it has a natural latex backing and it is made in the USA.
- Uses a double band of seagrass in a basketweave to ensure durability for high-traffic areas.
- The cotton border is extra wide and well made.
- Practically indestructible by pets.
- Adds a beautiful texture to your room.
- It comes in a variety of shapes and sizes, as well as border colors.
Head over to Amazon and see these rugs for yourself!
Another seagrass rug from Safavieh, this one has a herringbone weave pattern that is to die for!
- Easy to place under furniture with its low pile and robust durability.
- It is woven with a power-loom to ensure a tight-weave.
- A variety of border colors and sizes to choose from means you will find the right rug for your space.
- Seagrass is excellent at hiding dirt in your entryway.
- It holds up well to traffic from kids, adults, and pets.
- The price is excellent, and the quality is high.
- Rubber backing means it won't slip.
The price on Amazon can't be beaten, so head over there now and check it out.
I love the texture of this rug; it is unique with its subtle color changes of red, brown, grey, and beige.
- Handcrafted in Los Angelas, so it isn't being shipped from the other side of the planet.
- Heavy 1/2 inch pile height makes it very durable.
- A non-slip dotted cotton backing prevents slipping and allows for easy unrolling.
- Arrives well packaged to your door, wrapped in cardboard with the ends sealed in plastic.
- Great value for your money, these rugs will last years to come.
- There are three styles to choose from; Blair, Resort, and Carmela.
- It comes in a variety of shapes and sizes so you can find the right one for your space.
- Plenty of border colors to choose from, making it easy to find one to match your space.
Head over to Amazon to learn more.
I love this bamboo rug with its cobblestone texture for added interest, and it's deep, vibrant color.
- Non-skid, eco-soy backing adheres the rug to the floor beautifully.
- They are made with the finest quality, sustainably harvested bamboo in the world for supreme durability.
- The deep mahogany and dark brown colors look great in any room.
- Cotton edging gives a clean finish to the edge of the rug.
- Kiln-dried bamboo is machine-planed and sanded for a smooth finish.
- Bamboo offers natural insect and bacteria protection.
- This rug is light, so you can quickly move it around if you need to.
- You can use these rugs over top of carpet.
- Easy to mop for effective cleaning. Also very easy to vacuum or sweep, and wipe it clean with a damp cloth.
Head over to Amazon to see this rug!
I love the tiny slats of bamboo used in this rug; it is almost like a giant sushi mat! The texture is lovely, and there are 4 color selections to choose from.Have a look at Amazon to learn more about this rug.
- Cotton border finishes off the edges, giving a clean design.
- Non-Skid backing keeps the rug from sliding around under your feet.
- Kiln-dried and machine-planed and sanded for a smooth finish.
- Holds up great to vacuuming.
- Soft and warm to walk on.
- Lightweight rug that stays securely in place, even on ceramic floors.
- Can handle the traction of children and pets.
- Easy to spot clean or steam mop.
Have a look at Amazon to learn more about this rug.
There you have it! The best natural fiber rugs for high traffic areas. Which one is your favorite? I particularly like the Safavieh Herringbone Rugs because they have such a unique texture and they come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes.